PC Choice

From: Nikk Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 20:33:48 +0100

Before I start this I have to point out I've only ever had a single human PC, the others were a duck, a troll, a Dehori Demon (don't ask), a Baboon and a Centuar, so I think my GM's gaming style varies greatly from that of other people on this list.

Daivd Cake talks about Centuar PC's:

> Though with three problems, all of which can be overcome
>a) little is known of their cults etc, so a player that is keen to advance
>religiously can be a little problematic.

 Well I've seen a fair few Centuar PC's, the best and most long lasting one cheated this by joining Humakt like the rest of the party. Oh well, Cult of Arachne SOlara anyone???

>b) they are really really dangerous in melee, so GMs who run a low power
>campaign might consider them potentially unbalancing.

 They're not *that* dangerous. They get a small attack advantage from their height (+10 I think), a whopping damage bonus I admit and an additional Kick attack that never seemed to hit in our game.

>c) if you want to have them participate, you need to cut down on the
>treacherous underground caverns, climbing walls, etc. Dyskund caverns or
>the final part of River of Cradles, for example, do not make good
>adventures if you have a Centaur in the party.

 Centuar trying to Swim!! Centuar trying to get the 01 on Climb because her Climb skill is -16%!! Centuar getting stuck in trapdoor was the best episode we ever had, especially because a Mostali then decided to use gun powder to help release her.....

BTW trollkin are cool and fun, I've seen a lesser trollkin played out very well. Ditto for stupid great trolls, if there's only one in a party it starts to get dull, but in a group of 7 trolls three of us had great trolls lumbering around, getting the chance to chuckle to ourselves, whack things for little reason and make unfunny jokes amongst ourselves that no-one else "got".

> The best part about Grotaron PCs is making the player wear a glove
>with an eye on it on their head. That, and them getting upset because none
>of the grownups believe in Mr. Snuffelupagus.

 I can hear the men in white coats coming for David.....

> One cautionary note on elf PCs - I once had someone roll up a green
>elf PC using the Elder Secrets/ RQ3 character creation who qualified for
>Wood Lord at character creation..... certainly left the other PCs (several
>of whom were Hrestoli farmer caste) well in the shade.

 Elf PC's are ***gross*** and not worth playing except in an all Elf party. Their high previous experience, and the fact that they get 200 hours training in addition to everything else every year from their cult makes them even worse. Sick, gross and I've never seen an elf played properly. Ditto for Mostali.

Just my two clacks,

Nikk E.

Nikk the Broo Shaman of Thed
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff