PC races

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 17:16:28 -0800 (PST)

When I wrote my snide remarks about the alienation of Gloranthan races, I assumed I would be flamed or ignored. Imagine my surprise when I started reading messages basically advocating disallowing non-human PCs.

As a 20th century white middle class male, can I really get into the head of an Orlanthi barbarian? A Lunar citizen? Can I roleplay a woman? The answer is probably not. But rather than give up because of insurmountable cultural differences, I choose to try anyway.

Here's some of the non-humans from our college campaign, around 15 years ago. Much of this was before new facts were "discovered" about said races, but we had fun anyway:

Ducks
Baboons
Centaurs
Trolls (all varieties)
Dragonewts
Elves
Pixies
A Dryad
A Wyvern
A Griffin
An Ogre
Minotaurs
A Rhino (awakened-Int)

The Aldrymi campaign was one of the more successful. The trolls (plus one black elf) were pretty interesting too. The all dragonewt game didn't work too well, but part of the blame came from the silly trait rules out of Different Worlds.

Then of course, there was the short-lived chaos campaign consisting of an Ogre, chaotic Human, chaotic Centaur, Jack O'Bear, and a Scorpionman/Cave-Troll. We were defeated by a Pixie practical joke.

We never had any Dwarves that I remember. Roleplaying them should not be hard. Just think Paranoia, plus the Borg. (I am not a big fan of the "new Mostali". Stafford explaining these facts in an article titled "Why I hate Dwarves" didn't help either)