Non-human PCs

From: Robert H. Wolfe <rhwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 20:04:14 -0600 (CST)

On non-human PCs, Philip Hibbs <PHibbs_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

>Other races I've seen are Grotarons, Pixies, Baboons, Great Trolls,
>and a Cauliflower-headed Broo. None of them worked out too well.
>
>Except the baboon. They can be good.

"Baboon is not just good! Baboon is great! Much better than sad, hairless Pinkmonkeys! Baboon have teeth! Baboon run fast! Baboon most mighty and beautiful of creatures! Baboon used to have claws too until evil change in nature of universe took them away!" Grishnarl Broobiter, Khan of UrApe the Storm Gorilla Fang of Bull, Skullmound Shrine, Prax :: (his mark)

John Snead wrote:

>With the right background Human/Troll mixed parties work quite well.
>A Kitori human/troll party sounds like great fun.

Yep. We've played many such parties in our campaigns over the past 17 years. Lots of fun. Of course, in one of our campaigns, an ill-thought alliance with trolls once resulting in the destruction of an entire village of perfectly innocent Orlanthi... but them's the breaks.

>Outcast Dwarfs

We've tried this a dozen times. Outcast dwarves basically suck, if they're played right, since they're still pretty damn robotic. It's like role-playing a flow chart. Except for the one dwarf PC we found lost and alone in a Krarsht tunnel. But he was seriously defective. PTSD, schizo-affective disorder, manic depressive, delusional, the works.

Digby's more memorable lines: "The World Machine is Broken! The World Machine is Broken! Look out!" Pushes a character aside for no apparent reason. "A piece almost hit you."

"Legs, legs. So many legs."

And of course, "Are you eating that?"

He joined Trickster, eventually. His favorite battle field tactic was to simultaneously cast Conceal and Hallucinate on himself in moments of stress.

>[Newtlings] actually work quite well. They are especially good for
>players whoare interested in dragons and dragonewts, since newtlings
>are often taken as DN slaves, and they can lean Auld Wrymish much more
>effectively than humans. A *much* better and more interesting choice
>(IMHO) than a Dragonewt PC.

I heartily agree. We've had several PC newtlings over the decades. They've all been fun. Fragile, but fun.

>>>Wind Children (especially in Orlanthi regions or in Kralorela)
>>Only if you never go underground (or have a crazy wind child with
>>claustrophilia).
>Yep.

Yeah. We've only ever had two Wind Children. They were alright, but pretty limiting. Never works if you limit your players to one PC each because they tend to just not go on adventures underground. Which can leave one of your players sitting around all night playing solitaire.

>>>Rootless or Renegade Elves
>>These tend to end up as hoomans in green suits in my experience.
>True, anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Not me. With one or two (okay, exactly two) Elves suck as PCs in my experience. Some of the new speculation in the Digest may help, but they tend to have the same problem as RQ2 trolls. Eventually, they all end up looking exactly the same. (Wood Lord, Arrow Trance, Elf Bow mastery. Yawn)

>>>Centaurs
>>Fun if done well.
>Once again, stay out of caves.

And they're a Power Gamer's wet dream outdoors. I don't allow them.

>I've not seen the Men and a Half played. Has
>anyone else played them?

I hate 'em. Another Power Gamer favorite. Their benefits are so much greater than their restrictions, especially in their native environment of Prax. ("Oooo, I hope it doesn't snow today." Yeah, right. In a f--king desert.)

>>Outcast Dragonewts (especially in Kralorela)
>>Too alien for 99% of roleplayers to do properly. I've seen them done
>>poorly, but never seen one done well.
>
>Yep, one of the few choices we always veto. Has anyone ever seen one
>done well?

Never in a million years. We did the Dragonnewt March as a campaign, and it was great... but only because the DNs were absolutely ALIEN. Like the time they made clothing out of one of the PCs for no reason. Scary.

>>>Morocanth (best played only in Prax)
>>>Excellent, IMHO. Works well in a majority-troll party, too.

I like Morocanth. Their disads are pretty harsh and more than balance out their advantages. Droopsnout, a not-too-bright Morocanth that used to post on the Digest sometimes, was one of the best PCs we ever had in any campaign. Hey, Drooper, you out there?

>>>Superior Trollkin
>>I'm surprised these are on the second list, not the first. They
>>provide more hooks and guidelines for roleplaying than do Uzko. I've
>>always found them fun, but only a non-powergamer will take one on.
>Playing the subservient mindset can get a bit old for many folks.

We've had too memorable Trollkin. Sax Strangerfoe, Sword of Humakt, and his estranged brother Trix Dangerfoe, Trickster extrordinaire. And don't let that small size fool you. The Dex, man! Look at the Dex! Sax and Trix are both seriously dangerous guys.

>I've recently been rethinking the widely accepted truism that
>deep role-players only play humans. Glorantha has a number of
>potential PC species and I honestly think that thoughtful role-players
>can play most of the above options deeply and well. I think its time
>to reclaim non-humans from the munchkins :)

I heartily agree. Part of the attraction of RQ is that the non-human races are, for the most part, fascinating, well thought out, and fun to play. In my mind's eye, I can see them all now, marching toward Valhalla...

The Elves: Heldoria of the Golden Bow, Strongbark Trollstomper

The Uz: Korgo Garkar, Grond Daywatcher, Mahler Maelstrom (the Maetro of Mayhem), Tinglet Dangersmile, big dumb Kozak, even Hoss.

The Baboons: Grishnarl, Kroll, Rumpus, Hatchet Jack

The Lone Dwarf: Digby Drey

The Enlo: Trix and Sax (the Brothers Foe)

The Ducks: Featherblade Deathwing, Rupert the Avenger

The Newtlings: Speaker, Bohica the Persuader( may he rot in hell)

The Morocanth: Onkoriki, Droopsnout

Even the Ogres. (You know who you are.)

Without them, my Glorantha would've been a sadder, less colorful place.

Robert Wolfe
(the artist formerly known as Cheiron)