First Age Orlanthi sources

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 04:40:24 -0500

Joerg writes:

> [Greg] gave us a tantalizing tidbit titled "the People of Harmast".
> Essentially lots of names with short notes attached, giving a _very_
> rough outline for the Orlanthi roots in the Darkness. It had all the
> children and tribes of Vingkot listed, though, which was published
> somewhere recently, I seem to recall, though I can't say where (I
> tried to find it in Wyrm's Footnotes).

Three good sources for First Age Orlanthi info. are:

  1. The box in Wyrms Footprints on p.28 headed "Vingkot" (details of the wives and descendents of Vingkot the Victorious); WF is still available from all good games shops (by definition), though Wyrms Footnotes magazine isn't.
  2. The Broken Council Guidebook, which you can probably still buy from Reaching Moon or Wizard's Attic, though *no* games shop is good enough to stock this fine source material (I would be delighted to be wrong in this!). This, of course, ends before the God Project gets rolling.
  3. The Note in Tales #7 pp.46&48 which begins "Introductory note, by a Grey Sage of Jonstown".

Following in the footsteps of my style guru, MOB, I have decided to append a randomly-selected Note from Notchet to this email. Enjoy!

Nick

>From the Notes from Nochet files:

[XXIX.13-38] Introductory note, by a Grey Sage of Jonstown:

This information is from Likstrandos, an early God-Learner who betrayed many Orlanthi secrets to his friends. He is famous for some other writing, notably the Second Gloss to Harmast's Heroquest. In fact, these notes are from the Gloss, or perhaps an early draft of it.

"Before the time of Harmast Barefoot, there were ten tribes of the Heortlings: Penentelli, Vestantes and Infithtelli of Aggar; Berenneth of Saird; Forosivuli of Holay, and Liornvuli of Tarsh, both remnants of the elder Lastralgors; Stravuli of Dinaros; Koroltes of Doriziland; Orgovaltes of Orgovalland; and Gansavuli of Gansaland.

"The first four tribes were overcome in the First and Second Theyalan Wars. The next four were conquered in 379 at the Battle of Night and Day, when the darkmen summoned the Black Eater but were crushed by the light of Nysalor. The last two surrendered after the Battle of Vanntar in 397, when dragonewts were destroyed by dwarf magic. So many people fled to the Stormwalk Mountains that a new tribe, the Hendriki, was formed from their refugees. When the Dorastan Empire enforced their rule upon the tribesmen, they forced all to accept the worship of Lokamayadon instead of Orlanth. The people who protested departed the valleys, and lived the Old Way in the hills, without fields or ploughs. Harmast was born amid those peoples, in the lands of the Stravuli, around 393 or so."