Hedeby is Temperate, I try to be...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 97 14:59 MET DST

Peter Metcalfe lives a long way from Hedeby, which happens to be almost where I work every day (in Germany), and where nowadays fine large cattle are grown in a climate worse than at the peak of the Viking era. Therefore I can just smile about the comparison with Ygg's Isles. It's about the same as to say London has a subarctic climate...

>Waving the archeological excavations at hedby as proof the Orlanthi
>Cattle are small is just as relevant as waving archaeological reports
>about the Shetland Islands to prove that all horses in glorantha are
>tiny. The Hedeby model may be applicable for the Ygg's Isle but the
>Orlanthi have long since been exposed to bigger cattle which comes
>from living near Esrolia.

While Esrolia may have a somewhat more pleasant climate than middle Europe, Dragon Pass is somewhat harsher than the region I live in. And even here the winters are harsh enough that most cattle have to be stabled in winter. If a carl has a full team of eight full-sized oxen, he will have to stable about 40 beasts (in order to get milk cows and a bull as well). Just how large is a carl's hall?

[peaceful cut]

>>Rather: Who makes me think that: Sandy Petersen, in direct conversation
>>about this.

>So? What did he say that made you think that the Orlanthi don't
>use peaceful cut?

Sandy said fair and square that Orlanthi butchers don't use it.

>Look at Islam where they use Halal slaughtering
>to kill sheep. If that isn't a variant of peaceful cut, then I
>don't know what is.

If you ask rabid animal protectors in Germany, it is a cruel way to end the life of the beast. There is some ceremony to it, ok, but how much is about comforting the beast's spirit, and how much is about keeping butcher and meat "clean"?

Hyalorings: Peter insists to talk about post-dawn, pre-Argentium Thriile contacts with the Praxians. I agree such don't exist. I always talked about Darkness contacts. I will try to clear this in private messages, unless someone else wants to step in.