non-humans

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:35:33 +0800

>& >I proposed that the reason some elves become `rootless' was that they
>& >are essentially deaf to the Song.
>
>& I think this is a good explanation for rootless, rather than
>& renegades. Rootless elves are those who simply aren't able to join the cult
>& of Aldrya, and we were never given a real explanation for why - now we have
>& a good one.
>
>Now, all I have to do is find out why some become renegades...

        Why do some humans become habitual criminals, criminally insane, murderers, etc? I suspect, as with humans, the underlying reasons for behaving in unacceptable ways are many and varied.

>BTW, I asked Greg "Can Troll sorcerors use KL divine and spirit spells?"
>and he said "No way" at Convulsion 1, and "Of course" at Convulsion 2. I
>give up. Any opinions? I say "Yes".

        Hehehe! A salutary lesson in the ways of the Crimson Greg. I think Greg tries to answer rules related questions like that one by thinking Gloranthanly and then applying his answer. Unfortunately, he generally doesn't know the rules involved as well as the person asking the question, and certainly doesn't remember judgements he has made before.

        I say yes too , or at least I certainly believe that it is what the Arkat cult writeup in Troll Gods implies.

John Snead thinks Hsuchen can't transform themselves often enough

>Even if you allow Hsunchen to have a version of the Aranea & Gorakiki
>spell Transform Self (a sensible idea IMHO), it now costs 8 pts of Pow to
>transform into your totem animal for 6 hours. A bit more mythic, but
>unless it's reusable for all Hsunchen initiates, its not something anyone
>other than the Shamans will likely ever do.

        Well, actually the acolytes can do it reusably, and its damn easy to become an acolyte. I'm happy with the ability to Transform regularly being not universal, but fairly common, and acolytedom seems to achieve that. Its likely that most extended families contain several acolytes, which seems about right - not all can transform regularly, but most of their noted warriors will be able to.

        I also play that spells are often automatically reusable if used during an appropriate ceremony, so most of the initiates have the experience of transformation during cult rituals, even if they hardly ever do it outside that context.

Agimori
>>I've not seen the Men and a Half played. Has
>>anyone else played them?
>
>I hate 'em. Another Power Gamer favorite. Their benefits are so much
>greater than their restrictions, especially in their native environment
>of Prax.

        The answer is to make sure they are roleplayed well, and not allow them otherwise. In most campaigns, adhering to the restrictions of Agimori society puts you at some disadvantages. You refuse to ride. You wear no armour, or very little. Your culture is simple, and doesn't have many touch cults.

        If people play Agimori simply as being like everyone else, but bigger and stronger, then they are a powergamer favourite.

        Though I have to admit the Agimori PC in my game started out as a nearly naked hunter, but now goes into battle looking vaguely like Darth Vader. On a mission for Javis Gan, he was brutally punched by the Sun Dome Vampire in the head, and then noticing that everone else wore head protection, when granted a boon by Javis Gan asked for a helmet . So he now wears a black troll plate helmet that looks vaguely insectoid.

        Cheers

                David

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #320