Bull.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 07:33:53 +0100 (BST)

Pam C:
> The small Galloway cattle Joerg refers to are stunted beasts from
> northern islands with poor fodder.

I may be deluded by charming modern husbandry methods such as slapping hypos of steroids in the steak's rump, but aren't Galloway bulls about a tonne apiece? They may have been historically smaller, but Highland cattle seemed to have managed in the same northern islands (though northerner), and much the same sort of fodder (if not poorer). This may besides the point actually under discussion, I'll grant.

> [Peaceful Cut] Surely Orlanthi cows are butchered with a prayer to Barntar,
> swine to Ernalda, chickens to, um.... Chikala! Chikala, the giant
> pecking horror that eats even giant bugs...

Sounds right to me (especially Chikala). What I wonder about, though, in glibly talking about a pan-Gloranthan Peaceful Cut is how practically, and how ritually similar slaughter methods differ from place to place. I can't help imagining a "discussion" between a Halal butcher, and an Irish abattoir attendant, for example. And the form of the attending ritual must surely be greatly dictated by its intended purpose -- the welfare and feelings of the animal, the appropriate diety, the slaughterman himself, or the eventual consumers might be what's being considered, over and above varying ideas as to what such consideration ought to be. Just to deCentralise the discussion, perhaps a Vorumainin casts Repudiate Taint of Blood, whereas a rural Kralorelan peasant whips up a multispelled Venerate Ancestor/Tenderise Steak.

Elsewhere, someone writes:

> [A tangle of quotes violating rule #2]

Nary a tear shed for #1 and #3, though.

BTW, on the MOBian theory that cultic restrictions only prevent you from doing what you really _wanted_ to do in the first place (which seems true enough for #1-#3) -- what gives with #4?

Piled higher and deeper,
Alex.