Ga goes to Scandinavia

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:32:52 +0100

> I don't know if it's been noted in the digest before, but Gloranthan
> names have popped up on more than one occasion on the various Star
> Trek series.

It has been noted. It is less strange that someone which writes for a SF-serial should be a RQ-fan than some women's lib movement being named for an imaginary deity from a rpg which is rather small and obscure in their homeland. Especially one which goes totally against their presumed policies! If it had been "Kvinnoforeningen Vinga"...

A serious note on this is of course: Could it be that there is an actual historical or mythical female figure named Dendara in the RW? Greg is a big reader of such stuff; the name might just have stuck and he unconsciously chose it. Might be fun to know who the RW Dendara are.

Jane Williams:
> Try doing a Web search for "Vinga", and you'll find out a lot about a
> lighthouse in - dare I say it? - Sweden.
> Lighthouse? Vinga? Wrong pantheon, surely?
The word for "spring" in Swedish is "var" - actually, there is a ringh above the a, and it is pronounced as "vor" - yeah, like in "Voria". My players thought I was joking when I first mentioned the name.

"The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea, in a beautiful pea-green boat..."
>From "The Owl and the Pussycat" by Edward Lear

Erik Sieurin
bv9521_at_utb.hb.se
Bodagatan 39, 2 tr