Butchery and Dendara

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 12:23:29 +1200

Alex Ferguson:

>What I wonder about, though,
>in glibly talking about a pan-Gloranthan Peaceful Cut is how practically,
>and how ritually similar slaughter methods differ from place to place.
>I can't help imagining a "discussion" between a Halal butcher, and an
>Irish abattoir attendant, for example.

The key feature is IMO the existance of rites used when slaughtering animals rather than any similarity between them. The Odayla, Kenstratae, Praxian and Bisosi peaceful cuts are likely to be very different from each other. Yet an urban butcher who lives in Carmania, Sylila or Pavis is going to use rites similar to what the local hunters did in ancient times.

Erik Sieurin:

>A serious note on this is of course: Could it be that there is an
>actual historical or mythical female figure named Dendara in the RW?

Dendera was a city in Ancient Egypt that had a temple dedicated to the goddess Hathor (a spouse of Horus).