Playing Non-humans

From: Rex A Bean <Andrew.Bean_at_anu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 17:25:18 +1000 (EST)

G'day all,

My gaming group once had several weeks on our hands between a campaign finishing and a new one starting so we decided to play a short "chaos things" campaign.

We chose a chaotic thing rolled up the stats and any chaos features that we mangaed to roll low enough to receive. The premise was pretty simple. The Lunar army had hired a whole bunch of chaos and sent them off in small bands to harass Sartarite villages. So we spent our time rampaging at night and hiding by day until we became a big enough nuisance that the local Wind Lord caught up with us and killed half the party. Which then went and joined up with some new chaos thingys and finally died when they burst in on an Ernalda fertility festival and the village finallly killed us all. After suffering from great casualties.

We had gross characters: a vampire and a huan-to and the rest tended to be average. But roleplaying a bunch of bloodthirsty chaotics helped give me a real feeling for how a bunch of such NPC's would behave when I am GMing.

So playing non-humans can be great fun. And give you an idea of how all those nameless sword-fodder might react to the human PCs that most people play. My INT 3 scorpion trollkin just enjoyed mindless violence. He didn't care who he attacked, but always tended to follow the orders of the bigger, meaner chaotics in the party. So that when given the choice of chasing the humans fleeing the village or rampaging through the horse corral, he chose the latter. The blood and carnage was more immediate where he was.

So as long as you put some thought into your roleplaying. Play what you like.

Cheers, Andrew