Non-human PCs

From: Robert H. Wolfe <rhwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:55:12 -0500 (CDT)

On non-human PCs, Brian Tickler wrote:

>Ducks - no (don't even exist IMG)

They did, once. You should've seen how he treated Rupert the Avenger. It was so unnecessarily cruel. Sob. Garotted to death by a Chaotic Thanatari Pixie. It was just wrong.

Brian is my oldest and dearest friend, but his utter blindness to the delights of ducks utterly confounds me to this day.

>Dragonewts - yes (nobody has tried to play one yet, though)

>Personally I have played Dark Trolls, Elves, a Dwarf (briefly), a
>Dragonewt,

The DNewt was a monstrousity, balance-wise. But we were young and foolish (and I played one too).

"Jim Bickmeyer" <JFBickmeyer_at_msn.com> wrote:

>Robert H. Wolfe wrote:

>>Not me. With one or two (okay, exactly two) Elves suck as PCs in my
>>experience.

That should've read one or two EXCEPTIONS. I dropped the word due to my blinding typing speed.

>>Eventually, they [elves] all
>>end up looking exactly the same. (Wood Lord, Arrow Trance, Elf Bow
>>mastery. Yawn)
>
>I started playing RQII in 1982 with an Elf. This character never
>became a powerful warrior/elf in a party of warrior humans. He was a
>traveling entertainer. I keep the skills of war secondary to the
>pleasure of song, music, and dance. [SNIP} The goal of this character
>was not to be a Elven powerhouse of bow and arrow.

You are a good man. Not coincidently, IMG, both of the interesting elf characters also started out in RQ2. It's the RQ3 elf character generator that churns out the boring clones. It doesn't take a math whiz to see that taking elf warrior experience yields a very good chance of having a Wood Lord just through previous experience. Which is both boring and wrong.

>The best non-human character I have had the pleasure Gaming has been
>Blake "I'm not a Black Fang Assassin" Duck. The player went from
>urban scout (read thief) to trickster.

Sounds like a fun character. He would've fit right in in my Glorantha.

Of course, Brian, with his deep seated anti-Duck psychosis, would've slaughtered him out of hand.

Robert