hsunchen and cows

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:41:45 +1200

Tim Ellis:

>It also strikes me as odd that "cursed" Telmori get to turn
>into wolves once a week whether they want to or not, but it is expensive
>for a "pure" one to do so.

I think the expense of the turning is the main reason why the telmori turned to Nysalor. Serves the mangy mutts right, say I.

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Do you happen to know who is the real world equivalent of Likstrandos?

Nope. Do tell.

NB>>When the Dorastan Empire enforced their rule upon the tribesmen,
>>they forced all to accept the worship of Lokamayadon instead of Orlanth.
>>The people who protested departed the valleys, and lived the Old Way in the
>>hills, without fields or ploughs.

>It is unclear whether this applies to the Hendriki as well. Can you clarify
>that?

Hendriki was said to be a legendary bandit so I'd presume he lived off raiding as well as hunting.

>Peter Metcalfe lives a long way from Hedeby, which happens to be almost
>where I work every day (in Germany), and where nowadays fine large cattle
>are grown in a climate worse than at the peak of the Viking era. Therefore
>I can just smile about the comparison with Ygg's Isles. It's about the same
>as to say London has a subarctic climate...

If Joerg looks at an Atlas then he will see that I live on the 43rd lattitude. The antipodes come out into some mountain range in Northern Spain. Thus as far as I am concerned London and Hedeby *are* subarctic.

Me>>The Hedeby model may be applicable for the Ygg's Isle but the
>>Orlanthi have long since been exposed to bigger cattle which comes
>>from living near Esrolia.

>While Esrolia may have a somewhat more pleasant climate than middle Europe,
>Dragon Pass is somewhat harsher than the region I live in. And even here the
>winters are harsh enough that most cattle have to be stabled in winter. If a
>carl has a full team of eight full-sized oxen, he will have to stable about
>40 beasts (in order to get milk cows and a bull as well). Just how large is
>a carl's hall?

I dispute Dragon Pass having such a harsh climate that the cattle need to be stabled during the winter. IMO that takes place at much further north lattitudes like Carmania and Loskalm.

[peaceful cut]

>Sandy said fair and square that Orlanthi butchers don't use it.

Argument from authority!

>>Look at Islam where they use Halal slaughtering
>>to kill sheep. If that isn't a variant of peaceful cut, then I
>>don't know what is.

>If you ask rabid animal protectors in Germany, it is a cruel way to end
>the life of the beast. There is some ceremony to it, ok, but how much is
>about comforting the beast's spirit, and how much is about keeping butcher
>and meat "clean"?

I see the issue of 'comforting the animals spirit' as a praxianism and not intrinsic to the concept of peaceful cut.