Re: SeedQuest

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 06:11:25 +0100 (BST)

Chris Lemens:
> I think Alex and I will just have to disagree over whether elves would be
> willing to accept the Dawn as an unintended, yet heroically achieved
> consequence of the SeedQuest.

That's odd, I was _sure_ we already had -- at some length. ;-)

> >Which "human cult" do you mean, exactly? Elmal? Antirius?
> Heck if I know.

Admittedly, this is another of these areas where KoS would be useful. (And GRoY. (And an unhealthy interest in sun-god trivia.)) But the upshot is that there were "Yelmalio-like" cults at the Dawn, possibly including the much-debated-elf-sun-type-god-entity, but not the human cult of Yelmalio, per se.

> > I can only go by your apparent adherence to the LBQ
> >for the actual likely structure of the myth.

> I think I publically abandoned this idea a while back.

I'm sorry, I must have missed this, or misinterpreted.

> HKE/Y never went to Hell. He reassembled the physical body of Flamal on
> the surface of the lozenge. To do this, he had to collect the pieces from
> wherever they had been scattered. Elves say that that is all it took.

This makes quite a lot of sense to me. This is (very approximately) the sort of thing I had in mind when I suggested that Flamal's resurrection was essentially a "natural process": to wit, that his death was essentially reversible, all along, due to "natural forces"/ his own inherent fertility/other.

> There is certainly room for Alex's idea that the spirits of Aldrya and
> sleeping Aldryami were questing for Flamal's spirit.

That was a rather tentative suggestion, and I'm particularly unconvinced by the "Mrel" part of it, myself. It makes a certain amount of sense for green elves to have a distinct "cultural hero", much less so for a brown elf.

> (Complete tangent: is the reason that the
> sun was less powerful after the dawn due to the fact that his body was not
> preserved/reassembled?)

Yes, I think lots of people believe something like that. In particular, the Dara Happans believe he literally Went to Pieces, and each of the (six) bits suffered various misfortunes, until their eventual resurrection. (The "reassembly" isn't explicit in this myth.)

Normally,
Alex.