Long houses

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 18:02:56 +0100

> From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:41:45 +1200
> Subject: hsunchen and cows

> I dispute Dragon Pass having such a harsh climate that the cattle need
> to be stabled during the winter. IMO that takes place at much further
> north lattitudes like Carmania and Loskalm.

When the ancestors of the English moved from their homelands in Germany and the Netherlands they abandoned the use of long houses (with cattle accomodated in the same building as the people), despite moving northwest. I guess the important variable is not the annual mean temperature, but the minimum (winter) temperature: Germany is continental (hot summers, COLD winters), whereas England is Atlantic (mild summers, mild winters, rain). Latitude isn't everything, even of Earth. DragonPass is pretty far from the ocean.

>-- End of excerpt from owner-glorantha_at_erzo.org

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #327