recommendations

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:33:02 +1200

Trent Di Renna:

>Has there been any fiction written about Glorantha (even if only fanfics)?
>I just purchased the Glorantha boxed set, and the setting seems quite
>interesting, but some of it still confuses me. Maybe some stories might
>help.

There has been two published books: King of Sartar (which I understand is now difficult to get) and the Collected Griselda stories. King of Sartar would be the better choice for getting an understanding of glorantha if only in the Sartar area. The Griselda stories are a collection of stories about a woman in Pavis and may be quite helpful if you're setting an adevnture there (although you will need something like the River of Cradles).

For the Lunar Empire, the best 'fiction' introduction would be the Fortunate Succession. This however is a 'work in progress' which means it's unfinished and the production quality is not high for its price. It's only available at Wizards Attic. I would recommend the Lunar Wane Chronicles before the Fortunate Succession but that's spread out over several issues in a magazine (Heroes by AH) which is now defunct. Presumably when chaosium.com gets up and running, it will be reprinted on the web (although it looks as though chaosium.com is beginning to rival the infamous 'when HeroQuest comes out').

None of these are novels. They are more like short essays, myths, histories and king lists (except for Griselda stories which are more of a modern short story).

There are numerous other products available which can be listed at http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/products.html but some of them are highly esoteric and I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you are a deep fan.

But what are you confused about? Some of us will be happy to resolve your questions.