flamal and cows

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:41:10 +1200

Chris Lemens:

>I must have missed the Flamal from Ralios discussion. Can anyone summarize
>the evidence?

There's not really been much a discussion about this. The evidence comes from Flamal's tomb being in Hrelar Amali, an ancient holy spot in Ralios. I don't think that it is an elf cult thing.

Benedict Adamson:

[on whether Dragon Pass has an overly harsh climate]

>I guess the important variable is not the annual mean temperature,
>but the minimum (winter) temperature: Germany is continental (hot summers,
>COLD winters), whereas England is Atlantic (mild summers, mild winters, rain).
>Latitude isn't everything, even of Earth.
>DragonPass is pretty far from the ocean.

Dragon Pass has got one desert to its east which is quite nice to visit in Winter according to Bituarian Varosh's journey. To the north is Peloria which has become quite moderate in climate thanks to the Kalikos cult. To the south is the ocean. Hence I believe an appropiate climatic model would be some place warmer than the shores of the baltic sea.

David Dunham:

[reacting to the same comment as Benedict]

>It's an elevation thing. Remember that Dragon Pass proper is the
>continental divide for Genertela.

I don't consider the farming areas of Sartar to be Alpine.

>(In Jeff Richard's game, we're always having bitterly cold winters, which
>might be a bit extreme, but I do suspect that if you don't stable your
>animals, you risk losing them. Not every year, but often enough.)

Mainly it's the snow covering the ground which is the real killer of cattle and other large stock as they don't have hands to shovel the snow away from the grass. Hence the importance of Winter Feed rather than stables.

If the weather is atrocious during the calving or lambing season, then you will end up with a large young animal mortality which is generally where most of the winter stock losses occur AFAIK.