some (okay, a lot) of questions

From: Trent Di Renna <ted7846_at_megahertz.njit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 20:21:46 -0400 (EDT)

Continuing my newfound explorations of Glorantha, I purchased Lords of Terror today. One word: interesting. I like how none of the cultures of Glorantha can make up their minds on who the Bad Guy is in the Arkat/Nysalor equation. Its also interesting having my first look at the gods be from the Chaotic view; I can't wait to see what the "good" gods are like.

Okay, now for my questions:

  1. HeroQuests: What exactly are they, and what are they supposed to do? The descrption in the Glorantha box says that they are a reenactment of a mythic legend by magical means, which seem to involve going to the God Plane and/or the Hero Plane (which seem to me to be the same thing; see my next question). There are many tidbits about HQ's (such as the God Learners using them to mess with myths and even the Gods themselves), but nothing concrete. Is there a definite purpose to HQ's or is it more of a "why is the sky blue" question? :-)
  2. The Hero Plane: It seems to me that _this_ is where the gods actually live. There are numerous descriptions of gods existing in this plane (Yelm, Krarsht from LoT, etc.), and it is also where the "afterworlds" are said to exist. So then what is the God Plane for?
  3. Rune Lords: I _think_ I know what these are, from what I remember from the RQ rulebook, and from the description of Krarsht's Jaws: special warriors and agents of the gods, not necessarily priests or acolytes, who nevertheless receive special powers and boons from the gods. I have read of Wind Lords and Wood Lords, who seem to be specific versions of Rune Lords (Orlanthi and elven, respectively), but I am not sure of this. What other Rune Lords are there?
  4. The Mostali: I like their "scientific" viewpoint and the World Machine. Their technology has been described as "advanced", but how advanced is this? Steel-making? Clockwork devices? Steam Power?
  5. The "Invisible God" of the West: Real, or just a myth invented by the West to explain away their sorcery?

and one more question:

6. Are _Gods of Glorantha_ and _Elder Secrets_ still published by AH? These are the only two RQ books that my local game store doesn't have, and I would definitely like to have these.

Well, that should about do it. Thanks in advance for your answers. Now, you have something to chew on other than walking bean sprouts. :-)

Trent Di Renna
ted7846_at_megahertz.njit.edu
http://megahertz.njit.edu/~ted7846