Monsters, Elves

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:50:55 -0700 (PDT)

James Frusetta rightly points out the disadvantages of roleplaying monsters as PCs, which I had forgotten. I'll add that many non-humans cannot parry, and have limited (if any) opportunities to join cults and learn magic.

So the two Cavetroll/Scorpionmen, designed by our resident munchkin to be the ultimate PC, never survived past the first game. Likewise, his Minotaurs met with early deaths.

On the elf debate:

Arguing that elf society should reflect real world biology is like arguing that magic has to obey the laws of thermodynamics. It has nothing to do with myth, magic or fantasy literature.

Glorantha is a fantasy world. Maybe elves do live in a harmonious ecosystem.

Many of the recent ideas about elves (and the existing RQ3 material on Red and Black Elves) would be great for aliens in a David Brin SF novel. They would fit right in at Ringworld. I think they are lousy for Glorantha.