Humor and Tricksters

From: Frederic Moulin <moulinfr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:57:13 -0400

 >During these negotiations, her unicorn is temporarily hanging out in
>the stable. A Trickster PC with Conceal decides that it would be very
>funny to paint the unicorn's horn red and white like a barber pole (never
>mind that there aren't any in Glorantha, but anyway...).

Is'nt it funny that I also experienced (as a GM) practically the same behavior from another trickster. It looks like Michelangelo should be the RW god of tricksters: they all like painting... Well to make a long story short, during the course of the campaign in Sun Country, the group of adventurer ended up in the wastes in an oasis housing an impala riders clan. One of the PCs being himself from the clan, the all group is invited to a feast and while everybody is drinking and eating, the trickster decides that it would be cool to sneak out and paint pink the impala of the other PC. So he does it, with not as much risks as with your unicorn. But during the course of his actions, the other impalas in the corral make noise and the nomad guards come and find the trickster running away and the impala painted pink. They go back to the banquet and inform the clan's chief of the event. The all feast stops and everybody comes around the pink impala. A couple of players start laughing, but I "kindly" inform them that they seem to be the only one to find that funny... I look at the impala PC, and I see that he is tortured by the same dilemna as you: My roleplaying would request for me to extract a bloody revenge for this insulte, but I dont want to piss off the trickster's player....

>standing before Velera, in theory to explain what he's done. Velera, as
>a Yelornan, a Praxian, and a priestess considers this an affront beyond
>measuring, punishable by the typical nomad response to such affronts;
>killing the perpetrator where he stands. Although Velera's "character
>conception" calls for this course of action, I, as a player, also have to
>take into account that these kinds of "shenanigans" are par for the course
>in Robert's campaign and that gutting this PC might be unexpected and
>misinterpreted as personal hostility between myself and Robert's friends.
>RW people being more important than Gloranthan ones, I decide to "eat"
>Velera's righteous anger and let it slide as gracefully as I can.

Sensing that the nomad player is about to swallow the insult for the very same reasons your mentioned above, and that the trickster player is obviously expecting it, I made the clan's Eiritha Priestess stands forth and declares that this was a mortal insult to her godess and a display of arrogance and contempt for the way of life of the animal nomads. The chief of the tribe then made a little speech about the laws of hospitality in the wastes, the duties of the hosts and the guests (during which I could see that my most experienced players were feeling more and more uneasy), and concluded with these words "Death to the perpetrator, and death to whoever condone this insult to the honor of our tribe and our way of life". I then described how the tribe's warriors, the shamans and priests were tightening their grip on their weapons, their number, the look of determination and disgust on their faces, and reminded my players that they were not wearing armor... then I quietly prepared myself psychologically to kill the entire party and restart the campaign.
Fortunately, the stormbull player, remembering all a sudden that he also was an animal nomad (and maybe with a little self-preservation in the back of his mind), draw his axe and shouted "Death to the perpetrator". From there, all the other players did too, the trickster (a city boy from pavis) was hunted down like an animal, wounded and brought back in front of the entire tribe. The chief, as a mark of friendship, gave the players the right to bring a quick and merciful death to the trickster, instead of the long and painfull agony they would otherwise plan for him. And the trickster last sentence was an unbelieving "But it was just a joke" as the pole axe of the uroxi severed his neck.
The player went on to play a new Sundome Templar character, and is still to that day, truly faithful to the ways of Yelmalio (even if he still grumble from time to time about his trickster).
I truly believe that it is important to try maintaining Role-Playing when we decide to play RuneQuest, and if we decide that "RW people being more important than Gloranthan ones", then we should go bowling (which I enjoy too ;-)
I am always willing to accept tricksters, ducks and any other comic relief in my campaigns, unfortunately they don't seems to live very long. Maybe it's why there is so few tricksters in Prax, or maybe it is the way of the Trickster to insure that only his truly funny followers survive. Frederic

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #332