Q & A

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:47:32 -0500

Trent Di Renna:
> I like how none of the cultures of Glorantha can make up their minds
> on who the Bad Guy is in the Arkat/Nysalor equation.

        Take a look at the Telmori, or Dorastor, and make up your mind. That's about as object an answers I can give. Please note that this is one of the Forbidden Subjects. You can ask Greg, but instead of waffling or uttering something obscure, he'll simple tell you that he won't discuss it. At the RuneQuest I Lore Auction (where you pay a buck and get a shgort answer to any question), I asked about Nyslaor, and got my buck back. I was informed that I had asked one of the Seven Unanswerable Questions.....

        Now, some answers (I hope).

  1. HeroQuests: What exactly are they, and what are they supposed to do? Questing is one of the things that makes Glorantha so rich and lush in background. Questing runs the gamut of running through an intiation ritual of manhood, to marraige (on the easy & common end) to the full-blown LightBringers Quest (horrendously difficult). Somewhere on the grey scale in between, people start calling quests Heroquests. Just where on the scale is up to the speaker. Basicly, most quests are re-enactments of the actions of Gods or Heroes. You do what your god/hero did, although usually in a watered down form (so it won't be so difficult). You will run through the events that you have learned from the legends, suffering the same triumphs and defeats. You can gain considerable gifts from such a quest, but you can also suffer severe penalties. Usually permantly. Arkat's quests to strengthen himself vs Nysalor resulted in his gaining the Unbreakable Sword (some say, the original sword; Death). But he paid for it but receiving a Wound That Would Never Heal. The second form of HeroQuest is to go into the HeroPlane and do something new. This is equivalent to leaving the trail in the middle of an enchanted forest. The farther you get from the trail, the more your adventure will differ from the standard quest path. This is _dangerous_. A lot of people who play around this way disappear, and are never seen again. But the ones who succeed can create a new trail for others to follow, to gain similar gifts. Sit Ethilrist is a good example of this. He developed a heroQuest path wherein his cavalry troopers descend into hell (literallly), and tame for themselves a demon steed. His Black Horse Troop is the most feared cavalry in Dragon Pass, luckily, they are small in Numbers. The long and short of this is that Sir Ethilrist is a hero; and he created a new HeroQuest, and new path through the Hero Plane.
  2. The Hero Plane: Technically, in the map of Glorantha that shows the mundane realm, the spirit realm, etc, the HeroPlane and the God- are two separate realms. Some people, however, like to think of them as another one of those grey scales. The closer you are to the mundane realm, the weaker the individuals you run into are going to be. Heroes, spirits, shades of the dead etc. As you go farther into this realm, the larger the creatures you see. An occasional god, etc. If you go way out, it's all gods.... Personally, I think the realms are separate, but that the boundry zone is blurry. One (generally) passes through the HeroPlane to get to the GodPlane. Sort of like learning calculus before moving on to differential equations.

Example of 1 & 2: If you have been following the Last IceBreaker series I have been posting, Harlios is on a HeroQuest, he has been following the Path of Kalikos IceBreaker. But when he tries to follow one of the rituals after she has been slain, and her work destroyed, the quest goes wrong. He wanted to end up on the HeroPlane, but because the path is 'broken', he moves onto the GodPlane. He ends up confronting Valind, King of Winter, directly. He is unprepared for this, and wouldn't have attempted  it knowingly anyway. He isn't strong enough to attempt such a thing. It was everything he could do to escape certain death on the GodPlane. He is still doomed; but he intends to sell his life dearly.

        Wheesh! this is getting long, I think I'll let someone else answer this rest.

        Andrew

Drink Kalikos-Koolers!

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #333