Questions

From: Lemens, Chris <CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:29:00 +0000

Trent Di Renna:

Welcome!

>I like how none of the cultures of Glorantha can make up their
>minds on who the Bad Guy is in the Arkat/Nysalor equation.

If you like that, you are really going to fit in here. We can't make up our minds either. :-)

>HeroQuests

You've got this pretty well right. They are mythic re-enactment, but because the hero/god plan is outside of time, you are (at least in a sense and according to some folks) actually creating the myth. HeroQuests seem to have a quality like a path in a forest: the more it is used, the easier it is to go further. There are known HQs with known names, like the Lightbringer's Quest and the Seven Mother's Quest.

>The Hero Plane

Some people say that the god plane is just the part of the hero plane that is somehow "deepest" or "farthest away from the physical plane". I've always thought they were basically the same thing, but I suspect few agree with me.

>Rune Lords

Someone else can answer this better than I, since I still use RQ2 a lot. I think there is no real difference in RQ3 between lords and priests. It is a matter of cult & culture as to what you call them.

>The Mostali
>Steel-making? Clockwork devices? Steam Power?
Yes to all. I'd say little mass production, however. They are more like clockmakers of old. You can't get a replacement part for old clocks because they were all custom and all different.

>The "Invisible God" of the West: Real, or just a myth . . . ?
Same thing. The existence of dieties is "verifiable" by reference to the hero/godplane, where you can actually see your diety do things. Of course, other cults may see the exact opposite, which is where the interesting stuff happens.

I have a pet theory that the godplane is a GodLearner creation that they intended to use to change reality retrospectively. They succeeded too well--someone stole their methods and invented the gift carriers of the sending gods to wipe them out.

>Are _Gods of Glorantha_ and _Elder Secrets_ still published by AH?
I dunno. I went and ordered everything that AH used to make and I didn't have in fear that no more copies would be printed. I'm still missing a few things, but now don't have the dough to call Wizard's Attic to ask for the rest.

>walking bean sprouts

Yes! "Bean elves" emerge spontaneously from farmers' gardens, then haunt them when they harvest the beans, until the onset of darkseason, when the beanstlaks wither away. Nah. These'd be pixies.