Comments on Answers, Plus a Question

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 01:40:13 EDT

Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk> Big Questions.....

>Trent Di Renna wants a lot of answers to some Very Big Questions....
>
>> 1. HeroQuests: What exactly are they, and what are they supposed to
do?

Your discussion of HeroQuests and the God Plane was extremely insightful, probably the best treatment I have ever seen. I dare say it might even meet Greg's approval, even in his current "Lunarized" state. :)

>> 3. Rune Lords: I _think_ I know what these are, from what I remember
>> from the RQ rulebook
>
>See Gods of Glorantha for this. There is a silly theory about that cults
who
>have both RL and Rune Priests must be amalgams of earlier cults.

Since I am, as far as I know, the person who proposed this theory, let me take a moment to defend it. First, I was once told that the factthat every RQ2 cult had Rune Lords was something Steve Perrin came up with, and which was abandoned in RQ3 as not really truthful to Glorantha.

That said, look at the cults which have two Rune Levels (including shamans) which are in print: Orlanth, Seven Mothers, Thanatar, Yelmalio, Aldrya (if it is even a cult), Waha, Pamalt, Bagog, Kyger Litor, Issaries, Yelm. Did I miss any?

We have two types of cults here -- Cults of Ruling Gods (Waha, Orlanth, Pamalt, Kyger Litor, Aldrya, Bagog); and cults which we _know_ are the result of two or more historical cults merging, Issaries being the only _possible_ exception to this rule. And, I don't think there are many people around who would deny that the god known as Issaries now is an amalgam of Goldentongue, Garzeen, and Harst.

Can anyone really deny that Yelmalio is now made up of two parts, Elmal and the "whatever else" part? We may not like that he is derived from Elmal, but that is the case as it stands.

Thanatar is specifically stated as being a merger of the Than and Atyar cults. Seven Mothers is a single cult which worships seven deities or heroes. And Yelm has been discussed enough already.

As for the ruling gods, I note that all but one (Orlanth) have shamans, and that none of the other cults have shamans. Personally, I believe that the Orlanth cult should include a shaman level as well. Orlanth in RQ3 seems clearly a merger of two cults I feel are better left separate, Thunderous and Adventurous, plus the Rex "subcult". Aldrya I do not think is even a cult, though High King Elf certainly is. Waha is a special case - -- in Nomad Gods, he was originally a spirit whose primary role was anti-chaos. He was also the source of the Founders of the cult, and the historical treatment of Waha in River of Cradles and its precursors supports this latterinterpretation. So, we have shamans for the spirit/anti-chaos aspect, and Khans for the Founder aspect. Not necessarily two deities, I admit, but certainly two widely divergent approaches to the god. The same is true of the other cults which include shamans and priests/rune lords -- the shaman aspect seems an important function of certain types of Gloranthan Ruler (?) Cults.

I don't currently have a theory as to why, though I'm sure I could come up with one. :)

>> 4. The Mostali
>
>Greg Stafford once wrote a very depressing explanation of
>his vision for Glorantha's dwarves called "Why I Hate Mostali".

I don't know why everyone seems to find this article depressing or such an offense, any more than they view Trollpak as disgusting or "inhuman". Both described races who are not human, as Greg, their creator, sees them. You may not like your dwarfs as cogs in a Machine. But, since that is literally what they are, and what most of them view themselves to be, I never had a problem with "Why I Hate Mostali". I would hate them too, if I had to deal with them. Especially if I was their creator.

>> 6. Are _Gods of Glorantha_ and _Elder Secrets_ still published by AH?
>Given the recent split between RQ and Glorantha I'd doubt it myself but
this
>material may be reprinted in part in the new 'systemless' stuff Chaosium
is
>promising us.

Parts of them might be, though I would suspect that _Genertela_ will be more used in this manner, and then much of what else comes out would be more Orlanthi- and/or Lunar-specific, to support the upcoming miniatures game. Prax would probably figure prominently in anything after that, though a lot of this would, in theory, depend on what the Italian game company Stratelibri wants to publish.

CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com (Lemens, Chris) What I'd like to see

As far as I can tell, what you want to see is pretty much everything. Not a bad wish, that; I'll let you know if I find a genie's lamp...

>In terms of style, I'd like to see:

No offense intended to you or your very complete wish list. However, I liked this section much better -- more achievable, for one thing.

>1. No damn boxes that squash flat when my 15 month old puts her rump
on
>them. These books are usually thin enough to put them together into a
>bigger softbound book like River of Cradles (I think it was).

Hmm -- I liked the old boxed sets, with the separate books, though I preferred the ones Chaosium produced, with their stock covers, to the tissue-covered things AH produced. I had to buy an extra copy of the Cults Book from Gods of Glorantha because mine saw so much use it fell apart. I don't touch the second copy, just have it for looks, and I'm still using my taped-up one for reference.

>2. Put a pocket in the back of the book to slip the map into. I
really hate losing maps.

A much better idea than Griffin Mountain, which had the map attached through the spine. Once you pulled it out, you had no place to put it. Except on your wall, of course, where I have seen it displayed very nicely. Of course, you then need a total of three of them -- two for the wall (since Elder Secrets and Balazer were back to back), and a third to use.

>The cost of all of this advice is just $0.02 and you get what you pay
for.

>Awaiting my hopes to be dashed yet again,

And I'm hoping that you will be disappointed in this last wish. Only time will tell, since you can be sure Greg won't.... :)

Personal complaint -- no comments on my version of Orlanth Rex? I got one privately, but nothing else. Someone suggested awhile back that if no one answers a question you should ask it again -- should I repost? :)

Finally, a question of interest. After working on Nomad Gods for the French game company Oriflam, I began work on the long-abandoned Shadows Dance. Mostly from scratch, since the original folder disappeared between 10 and 15 years ago. I have done a lot of work on it, more slowly than I had originally planned, but now have a bit of a dilemna. The new situation with Chaosium and Stratelibri probably means that I could not sell such a game to Oriflam even if I wanted to. It turns out the game would be half-size of Dragon Pass and Nomad Gods, and would connect to both. Would anyone be interested in buying such a supplemental game if it was available through Wizard's Attic, for example? I don't know if this is even possible, as I have not asked Greg, but it is something I am considering. However, I don't want to put the work into it if people wouldn't buy it: Time is Money, as they say.

So, can we get a show of hands of people who would be interested in further work on the Dragon Pass series of games. I even have notes on a Dorastan version....

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com