Non-Humans

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 13:19:41 EDT

Simon Bray <101635.32_at_CompuServe.COM> Re: Non-Humans.

> I remember reading an unpublished document from Chaosium that discussed
>Non-humans and their origins (eg whereabouts in Greg's mind). In the
document it
>was stated that the Non-humans of Glorantha were characterised
unintentionally,
>but thet are not just humans in funny costumes. Each Elder races was in
many
>ways related to an area of the human psyche (Psychanalysis stuff coming
up).

I've seen the same document, only one other race was mentioned, that was broos/chaos:

Chaos is the ultimate disaster.Two men might hate and kill one another for money. Hence, one might rightly call both men evil. But chaos wishes to destroy the money itself.

I remember another file as well, even older, which talked about which RW accents each of the elder races should have -- I assume this stuff was inspired by the work on the RQ movie script. I have no idea if it is by Greg, Sandy, Steve Perrin, Bill Dunn, or someone else. It is a long-standing "game" or joke at Chaosium, so I understand, to use accents for human characters based on where they are from. Jeff Okamoto could talk about this more, but I seem to remember that Fronelan characters should have a German accent, and Ralians a French accent. I assume Kralorelans would have a Chinese accent (differing by Province, of course), while Fonritians would have some sort of Barbary Coast/Moorish accent maybe?

Anyway, the non-human speech patterns and accents were something like the following:

Trolls would speak pretty much in the present tense all the time, and would leave out "unimportant" things like articles (a, the), helping verbs, infinitives (to go would be 'go'), possibly even conjunctions. Word order is somewhat unimportant, so a troll who wanted to go to the store might say "Me store go I want". I think a Russian accent was suggested.

Elves would use passive verbs a lot, rather than active. They also speak using different variations on the past tense, even for future events: "I will have gone to a ceremony tomorrow -- would you like to have been there with me?". Either an "oriental" or a French, British, or Bostonian accent was proposed.

Dwarfs would use present- and future-tense active verbs. They would of course give as much information as possible, as precisely and minutely detailed as possible, with no room for misinformation, even if it takes a dumb human some time to puzzle out what was said. A German or Scandinavian accent is a must, since that is where they are from, after all.

Dragonewts should barely speak at all, and when they do shold use only nouns and gerunds to get their ideas across, very few verbs, conjunctions, other syntax-like stuff.

Nothing on other races, except that mermen should have a Greek accent for some reason which was not made apparent.

Completely useless information, this, but interesting nonetheless, at least to some.

> Another group of non-humans that can be interesting to play are the
various
>Triolini, I designed a tournament style game based on "The Belly of the
Eel"
>scenario in "Strangers in Prax" in this tournament everyone played a
ludoch
>merman (except Danny Bourne who played the mermaid)

While I would have expected this of Danny, it sounds like a very interesting scenario and experience. I can believe it would be more difficult to play a merman (or mermaid) than it would be to play a troll. The bit about "pod mentality" seems right on key, too.

Perhaps you should design a LARP around it. To be played out inside a very large swimming pool, of course. :)

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com