Heroquests

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_niu.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:01:04 -0400

Chris Lemens said:

>HeroQuests seem to have a quality like a path in a forest: the >more it is used, the easier it is to go further.

I agree. Also, the more you _know_ about the path, the easier it is to see and follow it. I explained the Hero Plane to my players as containing, simultaneously, all the mythic events that had ever happened in the area. It was like looking at a movie screen with dozens of movies being shown at once. If you knew the movie you wanted to see, you could make it out in the clutter. Otherwise, it was totally confusing. The effect on the Hero Plane was that you could easily spot some extraneous but interesting thing and go wandering off your true path.

Knowing your path also means you know what to do when you meet a challenge. If you don't know what the hero or god who made the path did, you won't know what you should do.

Ed Tonry