Hero Plane Fortresses

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 00:43:30 EDT

Joseph Troxell <jmt107_at_psu.edu>
Appearance of the Hero Place

>Has anyone worked up any notions of what the Hero (and/or God) Plane(s)
>physically look like?

I personally have almost no clue what the Hero/God Plane might look like, though I expect it would appear differently: 1) to different races and cultures; 2) depending on what part of the Hero/God Plane; and 3) at different times, especially before and after the God Learners.

I recall in Tales 5, in the Humakti HeroQuest narrative (sidenoted by Greg), that the part of the God Plane near the Six Stones appeared "dark", and that the Wooden Sword shed "light", though Greg stated that both of these terms were incorrect.

>For example (and I don't like this, but it's something to throw out),
would the Gods >Plane look like the mundane plane, only the gods would have big fortresses and >mansions dotting the landscape?

I have seen Greg's notes on Masters of Luck and Death (and there are _huge_ amounts of these notes, let me tell you), which include about thirty maps of what was then called the Astral Plane, of the Holy Country. Interestingly, these circular maps show a number of fortresses, mansions, etc. dotted across the landscape, along with various semi-celestial features, such as the Red Moon, Blue Moon, and White Moon. The circle is, appropriately, divided into six areas, corresponding to the Sixths of the Holy Country. Where God Forgot lies was a great Void, where there was nothing at all.

This last implies to me that at one point Greg thought the Malkioni (or at least the atheists of God Forgot) had no access to the God Plane at all.

Anyway, each of these locations were connected to a number of other locations by paths, which would presumably be used either for progression of a quest, or as a means of quick travel. As there were no notes explaining any of these maps, I can't say for sure what it all means. I doubt these were literal palaces and fortresses, though of course they could appear that way to some visitors. I would suggest that each of the locations was sort of a mini-world all its own, sort of like an oasis. Thus, the Red Moon location would actually be the Red Moon. The War God's Palace would be a land of eternal fighting, not just a single fighting hall. Etc.

James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu> Nasty, dirty, vile, evil, commie Elves

James: I've said it before, I'll say it again -- you are too cool, dude!

<Delecti_at_aol.com>
Gods Of Glorantha

>I know that Gods of Glorantha is OOP (Out Of Print), but you can call up

>AH and order it from them (I have been told that they still have copies
of
>Dragon Pass).

I don't know about Gods of Glorantha, but I doubt they have copies of Dragon Pass -- they ran out about 2 years ago, and did not put it back into print, which ended their agreement with Chaosium about carrying it. Or so I understood the situation back then, anyways, so they might have a small stockpile. I wouldn't mind getting one myself, as I have only the Chaosium version (much superior, of course, except for the very heavy stock maps AH produced).

Ed Tonry <etonry_at_niu.edu>
Heroquests

>Otherwise, it was totally
>confusing. The effect on the Hero Plane was that you could easily spot
>some extraneous but interesting thing and go wandering off your
truepath.

To almost certain doom, I assume, unless you are Harrek (and then it is too certain doom, though not his).

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com