Re: shamans; hsunchen; answers

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:00:47 -0700

Steve Martin wrote

> I note that all but one (Orlanth) have shamans

Yelm (the god of Dara Happa) has shamans? Not in the longest rules writeup, in White Wolf 16.

I think the ruling gods have shamans when the cultures aren't as well-developed. Has less to do with the deity. Surely you don't propose Shamans of Godunya?

David Cake wrote

> >I rather liked the non-human
> >basimoli presented in Tales #14.

> I loathe them. Am I the only one?

No, I didn't like that either. I too think hsunchen are humans who take on some aspects of their totem animals. "Each tribe has characteristics of its animal kin" is fine. But this is not the same as making the hsunchen tribes human copies of the animal.

I suppose one could argue that the Basmoli are unusual because Basmol is dead, thus somehow blurring the distinction between totem and people.

Trent Di Renna asked several good questions. I'll add to the several good answers:

In Different Worlds 4, Greg Stafford wrote, "There are currently three types of HeroQuest... 1) the "in-world" or practice runs; 2) the Magic Roads type; 3) the Other Side adventures." The first is probably the same as the pilgrimmages Martin Crim wrote (see my Web site), or the reenactments we've been doing in the Taming of Dragon Pass campaign. Magic Roads are "less common and more dangerous," involving travelling along ley lines. The third type is the serious stuff which Arkat and Harmast are famous for.

Probably the single best real-world source for heroquesting is Joseph Campbell's _Hero With a Thousand Faces_ (one of these days I've got to post my review, which was published in Different Worlds and reprinted in Tales of the Reaching Moon).

Rune Lords were originally masters of the mundane world (skills) while Rune Priests were masters of the mystic (magic); the distinction is a bit blurred in RQ3, but it's still true. However, priests now do need some skill proficiency, and most rune lords get reusable rune magic. Generally, rune lords are found only in more martial cults or subcults (e.g. Humakt has only Rune Lords, but they act as Priests).

Yes, there is steel (a secret of the Mostali).

And welcome to Glorantha! Keep asking questions, it keeps those of us who argue about minutiae in Greg's works-in-progress on our toes.