Not playing Dragonewts

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 01:14:46 +0100 (BST)

John Snead:
> Most everyone agrees playing DNs is a bad idea, however, no one mentioned
> playing crested dragonewts.

I had assumed that was precisely what was "banned" by the above Stern Injunctions. Letting someone generate a Warrior stage 'newt would be somewhat gross, above and beyond:

> Comments? Any reason not to allow such a character?

They're immortal.

They have no understandable behavioural motivations. This effectively means either playing them at pseudo-random (thereby annoying other players), or doing exactly what you, the player, wanted to do (resulting in an equally annoyed GM).

They have none of the goals that are normally taken as givens for PCs, such as staying alive, making it to Rune-Lord-Priest-Shaman-Khan, getting the girl, making lots of money, beating up [species], or, well, anything really.

They grow up to be even bigger, weirder, and more troublesome green things.

If the DN is a "barbarian", this is all marginally less true, and if an "apostate", possibly considerably less, but still leaves them in the Considerably Strange category. Trouble is, we have no real handle on what they're apostate _from_, so one is almost forced to cop out and give them quasi-human motivations instead.

I admit though, that I find the subject of dragonkind fascinating, despite (or maybe because of) the near-vacuum of usable material published on the subject. Has anyone make a serious attempt to play 'newts, and what did they find it necessary to suppose/make up beyond the Orthodox Facts?

Admitting only one youthful offence,
Alex.