Elves, Deer and Orlanthi

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:41:21 +1200

Greg Stafford:

AF>>I found the other mention of Vronkal (apart from Elder Secrets); in the
>> "Elf, Green" entry of the Gloranthan Bestiary, where it says "Vronkal,
>> Lord of the Forest". Perhaps that's a literal translation, in fact?

>I don't see anyneed to assume that.

>It is his name, as far as I can tell/recall.

>Is there some reason to suspect otherwise?

There is the habit of the elves to translate their names into the human equivalents (such as Rohir Oaklimb, Arkans Warwood and so on). Given this, what would an elf translate Vronkal as?

Steven Martin:

DC>> There are the Uncolings, reindeer folk of Northern Fronela (I've
>>think they've got as far East as the Lunar Empire, and they are the main
>>inhabitants just above and east of the Winterwood, across to Rathorela
>>lands, at least).

>I thought they were farther south, at the bottom of Ralios -- am I
>misremembering?

You are thinking of the Pralori Elk^H^H^H Red Deer people. In any extent, despite David's comments, the Uncolings appear to be confined to the plains west of Rathorelan forest. The Eferventes folk who may be the same as the Dawn Age Lenshi are probably a different species of (probably extinct) deer IMO.

[Orlanthi Shamans]

>We have exactly one reference in print that I remember, from KoS -- where
>does it necessarily suggest they are separate from the Orlanth cult?

Because they are said to be Kolatings. I agree with you that they are remants of an earlier phase of Orlanthi worship as opposed to worship of Orlanth & Ernalda (he says while splitting hairs) but I think it is an independant magical tradition nowadays rather than being an intrinsic part of the Orlanthi cult (like a clan chieftain) in Dragon Pass at least (like Kareena of Apple Lane).