Re: Black Horse County

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:44:21 +0100 (BST)

Nick Brooke synopsises and theorises nimbly about Black Horse County.

> IMG, they are Safelstran (i.e. Italian Renaissance) Arkati (i.e. Stygian
> Heretic) Humaktish types.

I quite like the idea of them being Safelstran (appropriately Decadent, anyway), but I wonder what this implies about their history. Did Alan Rick-- err, Sir Ethilrist wander through Ralios into the Lunar Empire at some point, or might he have come through Fronela before the Closing... Just "Muse"ing, no real theory here (yet).

> It may be that this land was barren and
> uninhabited when the Red Emperor granted it to Sir Ethilrist: remember that
> this gift is explicitly compared to the grant of forested and inhospitible
> Erigia to the Char-Un -- see endquote (1).

It could mean that, but it seems to be more direct evidence that it was _hostile_ territory of some sort. A bit like making someone Duke of Cornwall, when someone you dislike is currently it's _King_, if you will. Perhaps not, as in Panishi's case, lots of ravening green elves, but maybe some noxious hill barbarians, or some sort of horsemen enclave?

Blackly,
Alex.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #341