Re: Ethilrist & Oranth

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:56:57 -0700

Alex Ferguson wondered

> Did Sir Ethilrist wander through Ralios into the Lunar
> Empire at some point,

We know he crossed the Mislari Mountains at one point, though not in which direction.

> I'm not familiar with the term "Grey Age"

Presumably the era after the worst of the Darkness but before the formal Dawning. I liken this period to the time when the sky is lightening in the east, but the sun hasn't yet appeared on the horizon.

GRoY mentions several different barbarian thunder cults ("Orlanatum, Orlanatus, Erlandus, Lanatum, Thunderer, and perhaps others"), though it's not clear if they're truly different, or just call Orlanth by different local names (or worship local heroes of Orlanth, etc.). I suspect all possibilities are true. And we also have the Andam Horde (from Entekosiad).

It's certainly conceivable that these cults were later fused, and when two powerful local cults joined into a larger cult, each got to keep their own priests and rituals, hence the RQ Rune Priests and Rune Lords.

Tom Zunder takes the blame but reacts calmly to attacks on his Basmoli:

> What the Basmoli is that they are lions, full stop, end
> of discussion.

I have no trouble with their belief, and I think they could have consciously set up their society to mirror lions. I have more trouble with biological humans having only seasonal sexuality. Ah well, it's a tough line between "these are lions who look like people" and "these are people who worship the lion totem."

A question I had with that article: how much did your co-author (Greg Stafford) write?