Re: Shamen, Basmoli, accents, etc.

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:48:11 +0000

Sorry, I didn't keep track of who made all these points.

> The shaman would not be part of the cult of Orlanth, but certainly part of
> the culture.

If he's male and part of the culture, he's part of the cult, surely? Personally I think half our problem is that we're trying to define the whole thing with very rigid and precise terms. "Real" life isn't like that: the distinctions between an Orlanthi priest and an Orlanthi shaman would be much more wooly.

> >I am sorry if I ruined people's Basmoli, I just really liked these
> >hsunchen as not just believing with their heart and souls that they
> >were lions, but showing the physical attributes of it.
This is Glorantha. If they all believe, wholeheartedly, that they look like lions, and keep that belief up, then they will look like lions.

> Looks like you've missed the point - if the Basmoli have the
> physical attributes of a lion, then that is NOT something that is
> culturally relative. Either the Basmoli look like lions, or they don't. The
> Basmoli's lion nature becomes not cultural belief, but objective truth.
Are you sure? There's some truth in this, but (to take some local stereotypes), do we agree that all Japanese are small, indistinguishable, and carry cameras, and that all Americans are loud and lacking in colour sense? Actual physical observations. Honest. OK, so there may have been some who didn't conform to these descriptions, but then I wouldn't have recognised them as Japs/Yanks, so they don't count.

> The folks at games workshop
> (Warhammer, Bloodbowl, etc) more or less say that highelves live on an
> island out in the ocean, which can be interpreted to mean they equal
> brits in their universe, but who knows.
Since the folks at Games Workshop ARE Brits, this seems unlikely. I think you'll find they're equating this Elven island with Tir Na Nog (how spel?), the mythical island of eternal youth out in the western ocean: you know, that one that doesn't end. You could give their elves an American accent if you like, but really the place is too recently discovered to have a spot in the mythology.

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml