Origins of the Orlanth Cult

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:44:43 -0700

From: ilium_at_juno.com (Stephen P Martin) Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 01:31:56 EDT
Just a few comments on Steve's post:

>My beliefs about the merged nature of the Orlanth cult stem from a number
>of discussions on the subject, mainly with Jeff Richardson and Dave
>Dunham (and others) a couple of years ago.

Golly Steve, it's Jeff RICHARD. We "two first name" folk ought to stick together!

>IMO, the two Orlanth cults (as they were originally separate cults, in RQ2)
>have too many differences, in magic, outlook, and nature, to have
originated >as a single cult. But I don't want to go into great detail of this discussion, >whcih involved the entire Orlanth Pantheon, beliefs about First Age nature of >these dieties, geographical separations, etc. I'll accept your agreeing to >disagree.

I fully concur with Steve that the Orlanth cult is a composite of a fair number of older cults. Most now continue as subcults, but the old Thunderer cult still survives in the form of the Storm Voices and the old war-god cult still survies in the form of the Wind Lords. Steve, David Dunham, Joerg and I have greatly deliberated the origins of the Cults of Orlanth. I'm sure we will be available at Victoria-Con to more than adequately summarize our two years of discussions on the subject.

>I can't see how Yelmalio or 7M would have to be "fixed" to account for my
>theory. Yelmalio is a god constructed from 1 1/2, 2, or 3 other deities,
>thus seeming to fit my theory quite nicely. Though I will remove 7M from
>my argument mostly because I don't think even what we have in GoG can be
>said to be accurate about it anymore, with all the changes the Lunars
>have undergone in the last year.

Although I do not fully accept that in all cases where a G:oG cult write-up with Rune Lords and Rune Priests indicates a composite cult, I would agree that Yelmalio is definitely an example of a cult constructed from several other existing cults. I also agree that the GoG 7M is such an abstraction that it is irrelevant.

>Cult of Ernalda was in RQ3 Glorantha Book. Pretty bare bones, and the
>Dendara stuff was very contradicted by GoG, for the better (though still
>not enough).

We've done a fair amount of work on the Cult of Ernalda in the Resettlement Period. We might even have some stuff available at Victoria-Con.

Jeff RICHARD