Re: winter grapes

From: Peter Donald <neurolab_at_psyc.queensu.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 97 01:45:13 -0400

        Jane Williams wrote

>I seem to remember once listening to an explnation fo the differne German
>wines, in whcih I'm sure I remember something about grapes left on the
>vine so long that they become extremely sugary and make small quantities
>of a really wonderful wine.

        Icewine (or eiswein in German). Also made in the Niagara Peninsula in southern Ontario, which has a near-perfect climate for it (icewine sales are booming in Japan, much to the glee of Niagara grape farmers). As for the wine being "wonderful", that's very much a matter of taste (to mine it's grossly overpriced sickly sweet moosepiss, and I can't imagine for a moment why anybody would shell out good money for the stuff when they could pick up a fine well-aged single malt, but that's just me).