Sea Gods, Orlanthi and Drugs

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 03:29:46 -0400

Joseph asks:

> I was wondering if anywhere there exists a long cult write up for
> Wachaza (and/or any of the other sea gods). As usual, GoG does a
> less than satisfactory job explaining a cult.

"Wyrms Footprints" includes Greg Stafford's 6-page article "Spirits of the Sea", which has oodles of information about the mer-gods. As there's oodles more information about all the other gods in that publication (including much of the info that was cut'n'pasted out of context into GoG's Prosopaedia), you probably need this source. Still available from all normal outlets: local Megacorp reps and Chaosium/Wizard's Attic.

Issue #10 of "Tales of the Reaching Moon" was the Sea Special, and contained the Chaosium write-ups for the cults of Magasta and Dormal, as well as the Inner Knowledge of the Sea Gods (i.e. the mer-version of "What the Priest Says"). Plus, of course, a raftload of scenarios featuring magical islands, silly old men and God Learner Sorcery, and other essential seafaring information. Tales #10 is almost four years old, and I'm not sure that any of our distributors will still have copies in stock. But at least you know what to look for (or ask your friends).

OTOH, Tales #16 (the Lunar Special) is at the printers right now, and should be out shortly.

Alex:

> Do (m)any other of you good people think the separate priesthoods
> of Orlanth are traceable back to actual separate cults (of actual
> separate gods?), all the way to the Dawn?

Wyrms Footnotes, p.74: "The Forms of Orlanth"

: It is common for people to speak of three or four well-known forms
: of Orlanth as if they were comparing different gods. In some cases
: they are treated as different gods with competing priesthoods, rel-
: igious prejudice, and system snobbery.

Begs lots of questions, but they certainly *look* like separate cults (wherever this happens -- as usual, unstated, esp. whether this is a geographical or chronological distance we're looking at).

> Hey, I _like_ Grotarons. Mind you, as with an alarming number of
> the assembled company, I _am_ a Child of the Sixties. If young
> whippersnappers like Master N. Brooke like 'em too, I suppose it
> must just be that we're a bunch of sickos, really.

Eh up, our Alex:

  1. I'm a Child of the Sixties too (I've just aged better).
  2. Though I'm not denying I might also be a sicko...
  3. Despite which, I have no time for Grotarons. IMG, they appear in the top left corner of my maps, saying "Here Be Grotarons", and that's about it. Grotaron player characters? Don't even think about it!

(There was some fun speculation about Grotarons in the RQCon2 Compendium seminar transcripts, if anyone's looking).

Nick