Re: Sea Gods, Orlanthi and Drugs

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 22:59:01 +0100 (BST)

Nick Brooke mentions all the Good Stuff in the four-years-old, six-issues- ago Sea Special that I'd managed in classic fashion to forget about, and:

> OTOH, Tales #16 (the Lunar Special) is at the printers right now, and
> should be out shortly.

And there was Much Rejoicing! (Nearly back up to being a "periodical", by Chaosium's definition, at least in a Good Year.)

> Wyrms Footnotes, p.74: "The Forms of Orlanth"

Oh yeah, that. I grant you that it could imply any number of things about Your Local Orlanth (or Orlando, or Worlath, or Erlandus...), but I presume that the latter part wasn't intended to apply in modern-day DP.

The spin I'd put on those more extreme cases, without the benefit of knowing in more detail what's being referred to, is that they're at least more typically caused by breakdown in "diplomatic relations" between the different "aspect priesthoods", rather than a squishing together of wholly alien cults. If this ever gets to the point where, as it were, reciprocal recognition of each others' initiates ceases to be, then yes, you have Actual Separate Cults.

> 1) I'm a Child of the Sixties too (I've just aged better).

Merely "less", young Nicolas, merely "less". You're sure you're not using the "the 60's started in 1964" definition here, though?

> 3) Despite which, I have no time for Grotarons. IMG, they appear in
> the top left corner of my maps, saying "Here Be Grotarons", and that's
> about it. Grotaron player characters? Don't even think about it!

Well, I only said I _liked_ them; whether this is despite or because of them being up in the top left of the map is quite another story. Besides, if anyone has an Impale with a 3D6 damage bonus coming to 'em, it has to be those Holier than Thou Loskalmi. No, I take that back; if anyone does, it's a Grotaron PC.

Vindictively.
Alex.