More theogony, less philosophy this time

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 18:55:03 -0400

ilium_at_juno.com (Stephen P Martin):

>Of course the Sun ruled Glorantha before the Storm. And of course the
>Storm God killed the Sun God. And, it may even be that there was a single
>event. What we "splitters" are doing (to use a term from Sandy Petersen)
>is presenting a version of myths believed by a group of people whose
>ancestors experienced this event thousands and thousands of years ago.
>GRoY and KoS both agree that there was a Sun God who ruled Glorantha.
>Both agree that the Storm God killed him. What they disagree on is the
>specifics, on whether it was right or wrong, and of what it all means to
>them today.

I have absolutely no argument with any of this. (Well, maybe "thousands of years" is a poor choice for a timeless myth, but that's a nitpick, not an argument.)

There are those who seem to prefer a Glorantha in which the myths are purely invented, and the gods have no existence apart from the beliefs of their worshippers, which create them. That's the viewpoint I dislike.
- --
Carl Fink carlf_at_panix.com

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them."