Group Mind = World Machine?

From: Brilliant Mistake <idyoung_at_seanet.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:59:16 -0700

First, hello.

        Allow me to introduce myself to the Glorantha list. My name is Ian Young. I've been a fan of RuneQuest in general and Glorantha in specific for 16 years now. I'm particularly well-versed in the 2nd Ed. RQ and quite familiar with 3rd Ed., but most of the more recent source material (King of Sartar, Entekosiad, etc.) have managed to slip under my radar while I have pursued other games (woe unto me). Currently, I have been focusing my attentions on another Chaosium game, Nephilim, for which I have become a freelance writer, and some of you may recognise me from the Nephilim discussion list (hi, Dave). Whatever the case, I am eager to get my feet wet in Glorantha once again.

        That said, let me continue.

Steve wrote with regard to Aldrya...

> One of the current theories is that elves are literally
> each a component of Aldrya, such that they make a large consciousness,
> with some individuality as well. If you agree with this (as I mostly do),
> then there really is no such god as Aldrya, because she is not a god, not
> even an ancestor -- she is a name for the "Group Mind" of the elves.

        This strikes me as an unfortunate parallel of the Mostali "World Machine" where all dwarves are merely cogs in the machine that is Mostal. I consider it unfortunate because it perpetuates the sort of blow-for-blow Elf vs. Dwarf rivalry that slinks into every fantasy story, and seems to reflect a need to create a sort of cultural equality between them.

        Now, this is probably a far harsher criticism than this theory merits, but it seems just plain wrong to reduce both the Aldyami and the Mostali to warring nests of ants. Yes, the Aldryami are all plants in much the same fashion that all Mostali are earth/mineral, but where is the evidence that suggests that, as a group, they comprise the essence of Aldrya (other than mere intuition)? I suppose the real question for me, and I hang my ignorance out on display here, is to ask, where is this "current theory" promoted?

Gone,
Ian Young