Switching Gods

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:52:08 +0100

Hasni Mubarak raises an interesting point about people switching to Barntar rather than be identified as Orlanth worshippers under Lunar occupation.
_

HM:>Oh, a quick question about Lunar Occupation. I remember reading that people were dropping Orlanth like a hot potatoe but there were all of a sudden a billion and one Barntar worshipers. Is it just me, or does it seem odd to drop a god and pick up a new one? I mean, even a close associate is a different god, right? RW parralel, it's one thing to switch from Catholic to Episcipalion, but another to go from Luthern to Hindu, no? Or do I put to much value on the oaths of initiation?
_

I suspect this is a case of taking the rules as indicative of what happens in Glorantha - which I understand we're not supposed to do.
_

It also seems to me that judging the behaviour of the mass of Gloranthans from the attitudes of player characters may be unsafe. PCs in my experience are much more hard and fast in their attitudes. "Any chaos is all chaos" is a typical PC attitude but we know the Telmori have a place (albeit often a disputed one among the Tribes of Sartar. If the Sartarites took the PC line I feel the wolf people would have been slaughtered years ago.
_

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk (work)
richstella_at_aol.com (home)
...another spinner of strange and gauzy threads...