Re: Gloranthan compass

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 19:29:52 EDT

> From: <Telmori_at_aol.com>
> >From Telmori (Thomas Gottschall)
> Two questions :
>
> Why does Illumination work, how makes oneself immune from gods retribution?

Probably because the mind of an Illuminant becomes so pliable that the Spirit cannot see any offenses in the would-be victim's mind or memory, and so assumes that it was sent by mistake or sorceror's sending. I imagine if the Spirit were actually present at the sin, it would attack, but as there is always a period of time between offense and attack the Illuminant can recast his mind to a state of Perfect Innocence.

Alternate explanations might include the transcendent mind of the Illuminated being beyond the control of mere Gods or Spirits, or else that it is all an insidious chaotic trick, just like some can have POW in the low 40s with the right "Chaotic Features".

> 2. Is there a compass in Glorantha and where does it point to ?

Yes, in fact there are several types. Some point to the north (Kalikos' star, to be precise). Some point to Magasta's Pool. Some point to the city of Pavis.

The compasses point where they do because of the Laws of Contagion or Similarity, not because of magnetism, as in our world. Presumably, one can create compasses which point to any magically significant spot. This implies that sailors with the right two different compasses should be able to pin their position down almost anywhere on the ocean surface even after a major storm, unless they are swept onto the nearby HeroPlane, where said compasses may start to break down like the Laws of Physicists near a Black Hole.