Arachne Solara

From: Erik Hamilton <ham_at_queeg.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

It seems to me that familiarity with Arachne Solara cannot be traced back with even shaky certainty to either Dragon Pass or Peloria. I can only think of three circumstances where AS is revered to a point that resembles standard whorship. Pelorian "whorship" of AS to my knowledge begins with Deezola. Cults of Prax suggests that she was a priestess of AS, while later sources say merely that she contacted her. Cragspider is the center of Cliffhome's reverence for AS, and there is nothing to suggest that there would be the same level of AS awareness in the Pass without her. Her conection with AS, if memory serves, predates Deezola's and so it could be said that Cragspider is the center of AS awareness. The only other whorship of AS seems to be the beastmen. Their whorship of her is primitive and shamanic, it seems, and while filled with eerie rituals and frightening symbolism, would probably be similar to other sorts of shamanism. The existence of the beastmen in some models seems to begin in the second age, so it seems quite feasible that the First Council was responsible for the spread of awareness of Arachne Solara, especially considering that AS was such a recently introduced Goddess in that period (what with her first appearance being in Hell for the forging of the Great Compromise, an event that occurs right before the Dawn). But there is nothing to suggest that the First Council was the center of Arachne Solara Lore. As with many other things, it seems possible that the Council merely solidified and intermingled many peoples' understanding of the Sun Spider. Saying that AS is connected to Ginna Jar or is the ghost of the Goddess Glorantha seems to indicate to me anyway peoples' desire to connect an elusive and somewhat disconnected diety to preexisting lore. Which does not preclude any of theories from actually being true. But it also indicates that other cultures, Praxian, Kralorelan, East Islander etc, may also have understandings of AS that we merely know nothing about. Our knowledge of her is sketchy at best anyway.

Yours in warp and weft,

Erik Hamilton