Windmill

From: Frederic Moulin <moulinfr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 22:37:19 -0400

 Hi to all and Welcome to Chiara Condotta :)
>beautiful wind mills comprising the temple...these could be the "beautiful
>reaching towers" built by Saronil. The only problem is I can't figure out
the
>reason for the temple to be a/a group of Wind Mill(s) besides the symbolic
>value.

Well, if the location is far enough from any river, the towers could be the only available place to transform grain into flour, thus using the power of Orlanth to transform the gifts of Ernalda to sustain his/her children... Beside, it would provide a steady income for the temple (something never to neglect...)
Of course, the grain storage would most certainly be a prime target for raiding, poisoning by the lunar scums (look at the poison enchantment spell in SP sorcery rules) and a MAJOR attraction for some giants insects (and their Gorakiki herders...)
But because of the regular supply of money/flour (wind mills used to charge a % of the flour instead of money), the temple would be able to maintain an "above average" guard of initiates/runelords/merceneries of friendly cults and priests with "call Wind" for the days of uncooperative weather, using them for defense and "preventive strikes". The temple would also need some "sale rep." to transform the flour into hard cash and send caravanes either to major markets, or as humanitarian relieves to war-torn areas (aka friendly Orlanthi tribes attacked by ennemies of the cult). Here, you've got a all campaign set, mixing politics and economy. And the best is that if you ever feel out of ideas for a scenario, just plug into CNN and watch the head news... ;-)
You can check the digest of the defunct (and sadely missed) RQ-rules list to find more infos about economy and its use in RQ gaming. There was a couple of quite good systems proposed if I remember well. Have a nice day,
Frederic Moulin (frederic "Windmill" in english ;-)