Storing knowledge?

From: Thomas Doniol-Valcroze <tconrad_at_orbital.fr>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:23:59 +0200

Greetings, folk.

I would be surprised if this has never been thought of, but let's try it anyway:

According to the rules (and to what I think), a spell matrix is an object that stores the knowledge of a spell. By touching it, you get access to that knowledge: you know the words to say, the movements you've got to do with your hands, etc... When you stop touching the matrix, you loose the knowledge. Right?

So my question is: if it is possible to store the knowledge of a spell in an object, shouldn't it be possible to store *any* knowledge in an object?

You should be able to store a simple knowledge, like a message, a poem, a story, etc...
And using conditions, you could have an item that delivers its message only to Yanafal Tarnil initiates, or only to women, etc...

And then, perhaps you might even be able to store complex knowledge, one that you could use as a skill, like a "Speak New Pelorian at 50%" matrix, or a "30% River Lore" matrix.

That would be really great for Lankhor Mhy scholars, wouldn't it?

What do you think?

Oh, before I forget:
Pam said, a while ago (I am way back in the digests):
>And they (trolls) are matriarchal, so they can't be all bad

So are killer whales! :)

Yours, Thomas.