Knowledge Matrice and books

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 00:59:51 -0400 (EDT)

Thomas Doniol-Valcroze sez:

> So my question is: if it is possible to store the knowledge of a spell
> in an object, shouldn't it be possible to store *any* knowledge in an
> object?
> You should be able to store a simple knowledge, like a message, a poem,
> a story, etc...

Hmm... I always considered matrices to be "hard-wired" -- you puts the magic points in and get your result. Doesn't seem improbably that could make a "set" matrix of some sort that gives you set knowledge... but I'm less optimistic about getting to use a very large data-source (e.g., getting 50% Speak New Pelorian means you're getting one heck of a grammar and vocabulary -- I don't think you can get this as "knowledge retrieval," though other magic items manage it in other ways), or to use it for interactive knowledge (where you're continually asking for information from the matrix).

But hey - I'm a stoopid troll, what do I know? ;)

> That would be really great for Lankhor Mhy scholars, wouldn't it?
Maybe if you really need to save ENC or to get the info, fast. A book already can give you much of this, after all (not all -- can't really give you language speaking skills, for example), and I'd rather save the money and go with the books. And the books have more nutrition in a pinch.

> And using conditions, you could have an item that delivers its message
> only to Yanafal Tarnil initiates, or only to women, etc...
A useful enchantment indeed! I can just see it now -- if you don't return the book on time to the LM library, you can't use it any more. Keeps the apprentices honest. ;)