big topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:22:47 +1200

David Cake:

[Arachne Solara]

> BTW Arachne Solara is sometimes the Secret Creature revealed at the
>end of Gerran ceremonies (in the Entekosiad, Green Pages edition).

I also did some more research. There are Lunar Plates showing the Red Goddesses Heroquest at various stages. One of them has the Red Goddess talking to a Goddess with eight limbs and this is called GlorOranor the 'Weaver of the Skies' who is also said to be connected with the Spider Women of Provaria. Given the spider-like nature of Yara Aranis, I'd say GlorOranor plays a strong part in Lunar mythos.

So I'd have to back up a bit and say that while Arachne Solara is new to Peloria, they do know of a similar goddess. Arachne Solara was probably introduced when the first embassies were made between the Lunar Empire and Cliffhome (ie around the fall of Tarsh).

>Makes a speculative First Council era introduction of Arachne
>Solara to Pelorian knowledge seem plausible - I think Joergs speculation
>that the participation of Cragspider in the First Council/ Osentalka
>project let to widespread knowledge and acceptance of Arachne Solara is a
>good one.

I doubt it was widely known to the Orlanthi at the Sun Stop. In the 'Last Song of Horned-Ulf', an Orlanthi tells of seeing Gigantic Spiders everywhere but he fails to make a connection with Arachne Solara (and furthermore refers to the biggest spider as the great grand*pappy* of all spiders).

Also the information in Cults of Terror about Web strands being cast over the sun and then a Giant Spider eclipsing the sun are probably a *later* interpretation of what happened. In 'Starry Wisdom' mag, there's some info about Zenith's origins. It's a Mostali Hot-air balloon which was constructed for use against a foe in the first age. It got its name because it called out how far the mostali missiles were from their target.

Secret Agent lib155_at_abdn.ac.uk:

>Deezola: Sort of like Chalana Arroy, but healed of her pacafism. One of her
>greatest achivements was beating up a chaos nasty, so how pacafistic is she?

When has Deezola beaten up a Chaos Nasty? Her cult has no prohibitions against using weapons but then neither has Flamal, Eiritha or Ernalda. She is not a Chalana Arroy clone but more connected with 'Earth Magics' and is venerated by Nobles and Poets. Despite this her cult is small.

>Etyries: Basically the same as Issaries, any major differences?

A short form given in Gods of Glorantha. She has some powers beyond that as she is mentioned in the Entekosiad as a tajer (Lunar type of Heroquesting).

>Irrippi Ontor: Basically Lhankor Mhy.

IMO Irrippi Ontor is dissimilar to Lhankor Mhy. He was a Yuthuppan Astronomer and he has a completely different scholatical ethics than Lhankor Mhy. He is the source of the Seven Mothers Mind Blast spell for instance.

>Danfive Xaron, Teelo Norri: Not really playable.

Danfive Xaron is the God of the Secret Police as well as criminal reformation. He's playable IMO.

Trent Di Renna:

>Maybe the God Learners' "secret" was that they were Illuminated, or
>perhaps even found a level beyond Illumination. The attitudes of the GLs
>and of Illuminated seem very similar.

According to RQ II Con, this is not true. Sandy's even gone so far as to have said that the widespread adoption of illumination would have undermined the God Learners.

>Also, has anybody thought of doing a "revival of God Learners" campaign?
>The PCs would find a hidden cache of old God Learner records, and "reform"
>the God Learners, so to speak. It would be different, to say the least.

The problem is that the basic lore of the God Learners is known. The God Learners are still around today in the guise of the Malkioni. The Wizards claim to have recanted of their heinoius error but they still:

  1. practice sorcery which was perfected by the God Learners
  2. recite the God Learner Creeds as a confession of faith.
  3. claim several God Learners as Church Fathers...

Thomas Gottschall:

>Second, we Telmori are no chaotics ! We were cursed by Gbaji because we
>fought agains him. But we lost and thus we shall remain cursed and turn to
>manwolves every wildday.

So Talor was really Gbaji in disguise?