Lady D.I. II

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 02:43:51 -0400 (EDT)

Frederic Moulin noted...
> Well, what could you do about it? Here are my few suggestions:

> 1/ The (holy) Roolz specifically precise (p108 of the deluxe edition,
> paragraph: Divine Intervention) that "a god cannot do other than what is
> normal to him or her. The air god cannot make the earth quake..." Now how
> do we identify what a god can and cannot do (in game terms). Well, this is
> left to the GM's evaluation. Mine is that a god is tied to his runes, and
> that they define his realm of powers. For example, to have a "Party
> teleport" kind of divine intervention, I would require the god to have
> access to the movement rune (or the air rune if you like...) or at least
be
> able to provide his followers with a teleportation kind of spell. Now in
> your case, you could say: "healer, since teleportation is outside of the
> realm of your god, he cannot grant you your wish. However, in response to
> your plead for help, all the initiates of [insert god's name] are healed
> back to max HP, FP and MP. Please remove one point from your current
> POW..." Since they probably were already at max HPs and everything, you
> should hear an unanimous whinning. You just reminded your player that he
> was about to abuse the rules and destroy role-playing, and that lesson
> alone is well worth 1 POW.

       Ohhh, but if you go to the very _next_ paragraph it is noted (I'm suddenly reminded of an observation that RQ rules arguments are like the discussions of Talmudic scholars) "Divine Intervention cannot transport an individual into an enemy stronghold -where the enemy's power is greatest- but it can be used for escape. In general, a call for divine intervention to escape a situation can sucessfully include about 10 normal-SIZ people with limited equipment." The passage goes on to note that you can raise INT and  resurrect people.

        I don't think it is logical to assume that only followers of Orlanth and Mastakos can escape from tough battle situations; do we assume that the specifically noted chance for ressurection by DI is only for Chalana Arroy? A desperate plea for CA to get us out of a desperate situation is _not_ fulfilled by healing everybody!

        Escape should be possible, but the _mode_ of escape may well vary. Not sure what really works for the White Lady; what leaps to mind is going from the battle to a Hero Plane path. It's a close equivalent of teleportation, but with dangers.

(note that I was in that session and am thus possibly biased)

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...