Re: Storing Knowledge

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:56:26 +0100

Thomas Doniol-Valcroze wrote:

> I would be surprised if this has never been thought of, but let's try it
> anyway:
>
> According to the rules (and to what I think), a spell matrix is an
> object that stores the knowledge of a spell. By touching it, you get
> access to that knowledge: you know the words to say, the movements
> you've got to do with your hands, etc...
> When you stop touching the matrix, you loose the knowledge.
> Right?

I disagree, IMO a spell matrix is exactly as the name implies. It is a device that turns magical energy into the spell effect. You have to be in contact with (most) spell matrices to squirt the magical energy into it. The device has to be preprogrammed so the method of usage will be restricted. Frex. a sword with a Bladesharp Matrix will allow anyone holding it to Bladesharpen it, but it would be impossible to Bladesharped another sword unless someone had put alot of effort (& probably POW) into the creation of special use conditions.

I seem to remember that when using a matrix you do not subtract ENC from your spell casting chance. This emplies that you do not have to wave your hands about etc.

> So my question is: if it is possible to store the knowledge of a spell
> in an object, shouldn't it be possible to store *any* knowledge in an
> object?
>
> You should be able to store a simple knowledge, like a message, a poem,
> a story, etc...
> And using conditions, you could have an item that delivers its message
> only to Yanafal Tarnil initiates, or only to women, etc...
>
> And then, perhaps you might even be able to store complex knowledge, one
> that you could use as a skill, like a "Speak New Pelorian at 50%"
> matrix, or a "30% River Lore" matrix.
>
> That would be really great for Lankhor Mhy scholars, wouldn't it?
>
> What do you think?

I think you are talking about Truestone! All the above has been said to apply to it.

Cheers

        Lewis