DI still

From: Frederic Moulin <moulinfr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:57:57 -0400

> Ohhh, but if you go to the very _next_ paragraph it is noted (I'm
>suddenly reminded of an observation that RQ rules arguments are like the
>discussions of Talmudic scholars)

Welcome back on the RQ-rules list ;-)

> "Divine Intervention cannot transport an
>individual into an enemy stronghold -where the enemy's power is greatest- but
>it can be used for escape. In general, a call for divine intervention to
>escape a situation can sucessfully include about 10 normal-SIZ people with
>limited equipment." The passage goes on to note that you can raise INT and
> resurrect people.

Yes, and those are examples: Nowhere does it says that EVERY god can do that. As a matter of fact it wouldbe in total contradiction with the paragraph I cited, which is only a couple of lines above... Now if your GM allows it, then that's fine with me, since he is the ultimate judge. I pretty much agree with David Cake that the Gods can do whatever they want.

>While I have some sympathy for the 'gods can only do what they are
>known to do' school of thought on DI, I generally say that most gods will
>heal or teleport.

My point is not that Humakt cannot resurrect: I am sure he could do it if he ever could think of it. But the concept of refusing death is so alien for the Death God that he cannot even think of it. So if your GM think that teleporting initiates is such a trivial matter that every god knows of it, then great. But why don't they all provide the spell "teleport" to their followers.
On the other side, I am pretty much against the school that says: "You DI for 1 POW, so you get 1 point worth of RuneMagic". Gee, you can die in DI, and I still have to see an initiate dying for getting a 1 point RuneSpell. I like DI to be flashy and bringing a total turn around in the situation (Which your did, I have to agree with that, ha, ha, ha...)

> I don't think it is logical to assume that only followers of Orlanth
>and Mastakos can escape from tough battle situations; do we assume that the
>specifically noted chance for ressurection by DI is only for Chalana Arroy?

Yes, that's how I play it. Since heal wound is "common RuneMagic", I assume that it is accessible to every deity, and so they all can heal you to full HP at the time where you reach 0HP and plead for your life. But if you're dead (and presumably you cannot DI anymore...) and some of your friend wants to resurrect you, then only a DI to a deity giving access to "Resurrection" can work.

>desperate plea for CA to get us out of a desperate situation is _not_
>fulfilled by healing everybody!

That's your opinion: Chalana may have a different view of that. And CH is played by your GM, not you... Maybe she'll wait until you're all dead and then resurrect you all. Or maybe she'll send your soul into the bodies of a group of poor paysans that died about at the same time, but a 1000 miles away. What do you know of the ways of the godess ;-)

>(note that I was in that session and am thus possibly biased)
Possibly ????

Frederic

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #360