Re: Barntar's Associates

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 21:03 MET DST

David Cake on the mass conversion from Orlanth to Barntar:
> My impression is that Barntar is an associate of Orlanth, and
>Orlanth an associate of Barntar - and in normal practice this manifests as
>Barntar being a major subcult of Orlanth.

I believe that Barntar's cult is something like the cult of Orlanth and Ernalda in one mold. It's not exactly a storm cult, nor is it your cookie-cutter earth cult with female divinities only.

According to the Holy Country article in RuneQuest Companion Barntar is the main people's god in both Heortland and Esrolia. In either cases you have Orlanthi culture with non-Orlanth leadership (ok, vastly exaggerated for Heortland, but there is well-documented Western-style leadership in parts of that country, even if your Glorantha has no Aeolian Church). To see a similar development in occupied Sartar is hardly surprising, even though the Quivini tribes were from the die-hard Orlanth worshipping stock.

Full agreement on the comments wrt banished rituals.