Arr arr arr, Trolls at sea

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:31:16 -0400 (EDT)

Daniel McCluskey proposes:

> The Troll/Killer whale connection reminded me of an Idea I had a while
> back that somewhere in glorantha is a troll culture that parallels
> Northwest Native American culture very closely. I currently think that
> they live along the coast at the foot of Shadow Plateau, but am willing
> to move them if anyone has a good reason to.

Hmmm... trolls in Glorantha mostly seem to have survived in areas that humans find marginal (say, the Blue Moon Plateu or Valind's Glacier) or that are relatively inaccessible (Dakori Inkarth), or both. A troll society on a coastline would be very vulnerable to attack by outsiders -- unless they moved in during the Closing, and haven't been wiped out yet by sea raiders? That might be another fun plot hook -- trying to keep the trollish society going against the vast hordes of human pirates and raiders.

The coastline of North Pent might be a more logical location -- but then, it's not as convenient for GMing.

> (Mostly I just love the Idea of trolls competing to collect enough food
> to gorge their rivals into submission. This is probably a common uz
> political tactic in all areas... a well fed troll is less likely to plot
> against you. "Feed your friends -- Gorge your Enemies" -- uz proverb?)
I like it! Hmmm... can you feed a troll so much that even his trollish stomach will burst...?

Out of curiousity: how do you explain the mythic connction to Orca? Is Orca considered a trollish ancestor of the clan? Maybe the result of a mating between Kyger Litor or Kogag and a water god(ess)?

***
A related question: are there any sea-mammal hsunchen? Will the orca trolls be forced to battle the dread Sea Lion Hsunchen? ;)