Malkioni and Uz

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:35:51 +1200

Trent Di Renna:

[GLs and Malkioni:]

>I wonder what [the Malkioni] did before the God Learners appeared...
>perhaps they used pure Brithian sorcery, or just their own homebrew.

They knew magic which had been preached by the Prophet Malkion. The Brithini sorcery is slightly different IMO.

>Actually, when _did_ Malkionism begin, anyway? From what I've read,
>Malkion seems to have been a GodTime hero, and the almost "athestic"
>attitude of the West would have been very hard to keep when you have gods
>running amuck all over Glorantha. Perhaps they weren't really like this
>until the GLs came?

You are partially correct. Put simply, Malkion during the First Age was thought of as a God. Nowadays the Malkioni, after the God Learners, have come to view Malkion as a Man blessed by the Grace of the Invisible God. More details and a potted history of Malkionism can be found at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepgaes/Nick_Brooke

[ToTRM]

>Okay, how do I subscribe to this? It sounds interesting, to say the
>least...

Email addresses for various distributers can be found at http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/products.html

James Frusetta:

>Hmmm... trolls in Glorantha mostly seem to have survived in areas that
>humans find marginal (say, the Blue Moon Plateu or Valind's Glacier) or
>that are relatively inaccessible (Dakori Inkarth), or both. A troll
>society on a coastline would be very vulnerable to attack by outsiders --
>unless they moved in during the Closing, and haven't been wiped out yet by
>sea raiders?

I would have thought that a Uzophile would have remembered that there are two troll populations that are near the shore. The largest one is Koromandol which is north of Bliss in Ignorance. This would be ideal for the previously postulated troll culture. Of course they are also known to worship bloodthirsty gods such as Basko and Yongley Bongley Boo. There is very little danger from sea radiers because it borders the Sea of Fog - which Uz Darksense can penetrate and human vision cannot.

The second one is in Jrustela where the Uz have built galleys and have forged an alliance with the Malasp (to the extent that human captives are fed to the Malasp). Very little danger from Humans here as the Malasp will be very upset.

>A related question: are there any sea-mammal hsunchen? Will the orca
>trolls be forced to battle the dread Sea Lion Hsunchen? ;)

There is the cult of Orca worshipped by the Kralori in their battles against the Zabdamar. I have always believed the troops devoted to the cult are known as Orcish Marines. There's also mention of a seal people but I forget where...